Budding Brunels is a schools-engagement programme aimed at informing and inspiring students about HE and career options within the construction industry.
The Open College Network accredited course gives students a unique chance to gain first-hand knowledge of how the industry works as well as the opportunity to gain valuable work experience. Over the course of a 3-day workshop, students hear presentations from experienced construction professionals, tour a high-profile construction site and also visit a university or technology centre.
For students who excel during the workshop, work placements are also available offering valuable industry experience that may be used to enhance UCAS applications and contribute to resumes and appreticeship or job applications.
Below are a selection of the reasons the Budding Brunels course adds so much value to students' futures:
- The opportunity to meet and interact with a variety of professional role models from leaders in the construction industry.
- The opportunity to gain an OCN London level two unit in “Introduction to Construction Professions”, which is a great way of evidencing interest in the industry when applying for university and later, jobs.
- The opportunity to gain a work placement with an industry partner. These placements would be built around the students interest, and take place out of term time, to ensure no further disruption to the students learning in school.
- These placements have in the past led to students gaining further opportunities such as further work placements and summer internships. We’ve also had a number of students who have been offered university sponsorship after impressing on placements.
- Employability skills training from Construction Youth Trust staff members, including sessions on presentation and interview skills.
- The students will have to deliver presentations to a panel of industry representatives, often in a senior role. Presentations to this level of seniority often don’t happen for a number of years into a career, so the feedback that they gain from the panel is extremely valuable.
- The students will have to complete interviews with a number of industry professionals, for which they will receive personalised feedback. Again a valuable experience for students who may not have had to complete a formal interview before.
- All students who complete the programme will be signed up to the Budding Brunels alumni network, which sends out monthly newsletters to highlight opportunities within the industry, and further opportunities to work with the Trust.
- The Trust supports on UCAS applications and job applications for young people wishing to enter the built environment industry. The three days is by no means the sole part of the Trust's engagement with the students.
The Budding Brunels programme has been extremely valuable in helping to raise aspirations of the students that took part. As a result of their involvement, many have deepened their knowledge and understanding of the STEM careers as well as how they can access them. We believe the partnership that we have with the Construction Youth Trust is a very important one as it offers students the opportunity to learn and develop their skills in this area, outside of the classroom.
Rebecca Coker-Adeleke, Former Head Teacher, Cambridge Heath 6th Form College
If you are a teacher and would like to talk about Budding Brunels coming to your school please contact us for an initial chat. If you are an employer who would like to get involved please contact us.
Budding Brunels is an OCN London accredited programme
0207 467 9540.
If you would like to find out more about our practical training courses then please visit our Budding Builders pages